Many Arizona school districts are grappling with declining budgets and rising electricity rates. At the same time, the cost of solar power has come down significantly and new financing opportunities allow schools to "Go Solar" without the upfront cost.
Provided are answers to some typical questions that our community of students, parents, teachers, and school stakeholders have about the upcoming Pendergast District solar projects.
- 1. How many solar projects are being undertaken at district sites?
- 2. How is the Pendergast District paying for the solar projects and where is that funding coming from?
- 3. How tested are SSAs? Are SSAs %22sub-prime mortgages%22 waiting to happen?
- 4. How will safety be maintained on the school campuses during the time contractors will be onsite? Are solar systems themselves safe?
- 5. How will the systems benefit the students? Are the systems being installed just to create district savings or is there an educational component?
- 6. What went into the decision to place the solar shade structures in certain areas of each site's campus versus other locations?